As the weather turns warmer here in South Dakota we are now able to be outside for more than 5 seconds without fear of freezing to death. This makes me very happy! The warmer weather, besides making me happy, also means that there are opportunities to get to know the neighbors who have been hibernating for the past 4 months.
One of the things you will hear us say here at New Life Church is that everyday life is our mission field. We believe that God has strategically placed us in our homes, neighborhood, workplace, and city to live as ambassadors for Jesus Christ. I wanted to share with you, through pictures, what some very creative people put together in our church foyer to express the truth that we are to live as missionaries in everyday life. I will also share with you some practical ways that you can change the world at the end.
PRACTICAL STEPS TO TAKE TO CHANGE THE WORLD
- Pray and ask God to soften your heart towards his lost sons and daughters.
- Don’t wait for someone else to take action. Decide on a couple things you can do right away and get started.
- We are, again, dedicating the entire month of July to loving our neighbors in practical ways. We call it “Mission Watertown.” Please be watching for more details.
- Make your house a place of hospitality. Invite neighbors over for a meal.
- Put a picnic table in your front yard. Sit outside more and start up conversations with neighbors.
- Put your grill in front of your house and invite neighbors to join you.
- Begin building relationships in your everyday life. Slow down. Ask questions. Make time for conversations. God has placed you where you are for a strategic, kingdom reason.
- Find areas of the city where there are real problems. Financial hardship, broken families, fatherlessness, etc. Roll up your sleeves, get involved and make a difference.
- Ask your Life Group to brainstorm with you ways that you can work together to make a difference in the Watertown area.
- Read good books that encourage you to live like a missionary:
- The Bible (it is a missionary book after all!)
- “The Simplest Way To Change the World: Biblical Hospitality As A Way Of Life” by Dustin Willis and Brandon Clements
- “The Art of Neighboring: Building Genuine Relationships Right Outside Your House” by Jay Pathak and Dave Runyon
- A Meal With Jesus: Discovering Grace, Community, and Mission around the Table” by Tim Chester
- Visit kristinschell.com. Kristen has a contagious love for reaching out to her neighbors.