I was at an elder’s meeting this morning and one of the elders mentioned to me that this Sunday would be my 3 year anniversary at New Life Church. Sunday, April 15th, will mark three full years since I first preached here at New Life.
Wow! Where has time gone?
My family and I feel incredibly grateful to be here in Watertown. I can say for certainty that the reason we love it here so much has NOTHING to do with the weather!
It’s not the weather. It is the wonderful people here at New Life and in Watertown that make us feel like we are home. I have said this many times over the past few years but I love saying it. I have never enjoyed ministry as much as I do now.
It is such a blessing to see our kids building friendships, getting involved in the life of the church and putting down roots. But it’s not just our kids. Marcie and I feel like we are building relationships that will last a life time. We are looking forward to continuing to get to know this church and this city better in the coming years. I can say with a full heart that we are deeply blessed to be able to ‘do life’ with people like you!
At New Life Evangelical Free Church we have started a ministry called Bundles of Hope. You can read more about it on Facebook and Twitter. Bundles of Hope is a ministry for women who are expecting a child yet they have little support and are feeling lonely, afraid, and unsure what to do.
Tomorrow, Feb 11, I am going to be on the radio at 8:45 AM talking about Bundles of Hope.
The lady, Janet Kilgo, who started this whole thing lives in Texas and you can learn more about her by watching this video.
On Sunday, April 19 I am very excited to say that I am beginning an eight week sermon series entitled “The Gospel in Everyday Life.” Normally I preach through books of the Bible but I felt like a good place to start when it comes to transitioning to a new church family is to begin with what is most important; the good news of Jesus Christ.
Week 1: What is the Gospel? (2 Corinthians 5:21, Colossians 2:20-3:4)
Week 2: The Gospel and Our Sin Nature (Romans 6:1-11)
Week 3: The Gospel and Marriage (Ephesians 5:22-33)
Week 4: The Gospel and Parenting (Luke 6:43-45)
Week 5: The Gospel and the Workplace (Ephesians 6:5-9)
Week 6: The Gospel and Money (Malachi 3:1-6, 4:1-3)
Week 7: The Gospel and Community (Ephesians 2:11-19)
Week 8: The Gospel and Loving Our Neighbors (Matthew 5:13-16)
Each week that I preach through this series I will post some thoughts, ideas and application questions here. Feel free to join the discussion. I will also add some resources (books, articles) each week that I believe will help you get a stronger grip on how the gospel relates to marriage, parenting, workplace, money, etc..
The next sermon series will be from the book of Colossians.
I am super excited to let you all know that my family is moving to South Dakota! I have accepted the call to become the Senior Pastor at New Life Church in Watertown, SD. New Life Church is part of the Evangelical Free Church of America.
I feel refreshed, renewed and ready to walk through this door that God has opened. Since you are here, reading this, can I ask you to do me a big favor?
Here are a few things you could be praying for…
- Safety for my family as we leave the DFW area and move to South Dakota
- For Marcie to have the strength and endurance to finish her first year of teaching
- For us to find a house to rent or buy. We like the idea of renting so that we can really get a feel for the area before we purchase a home. If we found a great deal we would be willing to buy right away! We definitely want to be centrally located (close to schools, church, friends, etc…)
- That my family would build deep, life-long relationships with New Life and the residents of Watertown
- That as we immerse ourselves in ministry we would create margins in our life to rest and to quietly abide in Christ
- That the gospel would saturate our church and the city of Watertown
- (And when the prayer request above is answered…the result would be…) That Watertown would know that New Life (and Jesus) loves them like crazy
- The lost are saved
- That disciples of Jesus Christ are made