I recently went on a walk with my daughter Audra. We talked about dating and what to look for in the person she dates or marries. She amazes me with her maturity at such a young age. That conversation led me to write this brief post.
Ready for the dating advice? Ready or not, here is is…
Date and marry someone who passionately loves Jesus AND the church.
That’s it. Here is why that simple advice is so important; nothing else will make a bigger impact on your marriage, family, and your spiritual growth. Maybe you are a little uncertain about the person you are interested in. Maybe they say the right things, but something seems/feels a little off.
Here are some warning signs to watch out for when it comes to the person you are interested in:
- They have a hard time articulating the gospel and describing how they came to know Jesus personally. The reason might be that they have confused religion with being in love with Christ.
- They say some of the right things about Christianity and the church but their life does not really line up with their words.
- They only go to church when you put pressure on them.
- They don’t have Christian friends.
- They don’t have a hunger to know God through the Word and prayer.
- Their presence in your life does not inspire and motivate you to seek after God with all of your heart.
- You don’t ask mature, Christian friends (and parents) what they REALLY think about the relationship. Inwardly you fear what they might say.